Cape Fear Rural Transportation Planning Organization
The Cape Fear Area Rural Planning Organization (RPO) is one of twenty multi-county rural transportation planning organizations established by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). The Cape Fear Area RPO was established in 2001. The RPO covers Brunswick, Columbus and Pender Counties and serves as the intergovernmental organization for local elected officials, the North Carolina Department of Transportation and residents of the region to work cooperatively to address transportation issues.
The goals and duties of the RPO are to:
- Develop long-range local and regional transportation plans (highways, railways, aviation and ferries) in cooperation with other area planning organizations and the North Carolina Department of Transportation;
- Provide a forum for public participation in the rural transportation planning process;
- Develop and prioritize suggestions for transportation projects which the RPO believes should be included in the State Transportation Improvement Program;
- Provide transportation-related information to local governments and other interested organizations and persons; and
- Conduct transportation related studies and surveys for local governments and other interested entities/organizations.